There are 232 users in the forums

As of right now the WR corps is the same as last year.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LundyLove:
the same players but they are a year older and more developed.....

MORGAN Is better and can make all the difference in the world just by being that number one guy...

Bruce is Bruce and will still be consistant....

Battle is underrated by many around here.... and would be perfect in the slot...

Hill and Ziegler should be getting better as well

EXACTLY

Originally posted by Nabisko:
Originally posted by LundyLove:
the same players but they are a year older and more developed.....

MORGAN Is better and can make all the difference in the world just by being that number one guy...

Bruce is Bruce and will still be consistant....

Battle is underrated by many around here.... and would be perfect in the slot...

Hill and Ziegler should be getting better as well

EXACTLY

X2... Well stated.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Battle is a 4th or 5th starter at best right now, I dont care what he does in practice because I've already seen him the past 5 years.

so have I and he has been consistantly the best WR we have had. The man is a reliable target for the QB's

People don't like Battle because of his injuries. They look at the statistics and they aren't that good; but that's because he is usually hurt half the year.

When healthy, he is both a very underrated athlete and player.

*Response to the topic*
The WR corps is the "same" as last year, but its not really that simple.
Morgan had a staff infection last year at the very beginning of the season, then hurt his ankle late in the season.
Loosing 15 lbs in a couple weeks is no joke. Loosing 15 lbs in the first two weeks of your first NFL season?
Its amazing he was able to accomplish anything last year.
If he is healthy, that gives us a huge boost over last year.

If Battle is healthy, that also gives us a boost from last year.

Jones will miss the first few weeks, but should be playing most of the season. So he will also give us a boost from last year.

If I were to guess, i would guess Crabtree will sign, so in probability, we should receive a boost from him later in the season.

Everything else is a wash I think.

But don't forget Hill is 7-3, and Smith looks healthy.

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
To all who bashed Arnaz, it looks like hes our slot man. I knew he was a lock.

We know Isaac Bruce is going to be consistant. The key to this whole things is Josh Morgan, he needs to be that big play guy.

To me personally, that Brandon Jones injury was devastating, we braught in the leading reciever from a 12-4 playoff team and he was going to contribute. We need him back ASAP.

And the Crabtree thing, im not getting into that.

We need our guys back and we will truly see Morgan and Hills progression, its gunna be huge.

I'm not a big Arnaz fan. Primarily because he was a starter. He's best suited to be a 3rd or 4th WR. So him in the slot i'm fine with. Unfortunately Bruce is the new Battle in my view. Give me Crab and Morgan in the starting lineup. Everyone else can get in where they fit in for all i care.

Anointing Crabs as a starter when he hasn't even been to camp?

You are Krizay.

I think right now Crabs is fishing with R. Woods

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

We know Isaac Bruce is going to be consistant. The key to this whole things is Josh Morgan, he needs to be that big play guy.

To me personally, that Brandon Jones injury was devastating, we braught in the leading reciever from a 12-4 playoff team and he was going to contribute. We need him back ASAP.

We need our guys back and we will truly see Morgan and Hills progression, its gunna be huge.

I'm not a big Arnaz fan. Primarily because he was a starter. He's best suited to be a 3rd or 4th WR. So him in the slot i'm fine with. Unfortunately Bruce is the new Battle in my view. Give me Crab and Morgan in the starting lineup. Everyone else can get in where they fit in for all i care.

Anointing Crabs as a starter when he hasn't even been to camp?

You are Krizay.

I think right now Crabs is fishing with R. Woods

crab fishing!!!

wow, nothing personal, but that sounds redicoulous, we had no one else better than Battle to start over him in past yrs, and i want Crabtree signed like evryone sles, but screw him, he was the 10th pick and should take 10th pick money, if not,, then sit out and suffer.
Yup, they're the same group of guys, but with more experience, probably better quarterbacking, and a more reasonable offensive game plan. I'm not ready to go out and buy Super Bowl tickets just yet, but it looks like we are going to see much improved production from our WRs this year. Of course we'll know a lot more after this Friday, but I'm optimistic right now.

You seem very confident if your Arnaz prediction. I'm not a betting man but to me Battle has struggled with injuries the last couple of seasons. I would be surprised to see Hill be the starter at the slot during the stretch run. Either way, even having this discussion means we have more depth than the Bryan Gilmore, Taylor Jacobs, and D Drops days of two years ago.

That's the thing.. He WASN'T a lock until Brandon Jones got hurt. I don't know why people are so satisfied with mediocrity. You're happy because a guy that likely would not have made the team is still here by default because another guy got injured? How is that a good thing? He wasn't good enough to make this roster until one of the guys in front of him went down. This is no way a good thing for us.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 11, 2009 at 07:19:14 ]

Battle is a 4th or 5th starter at best right now, I dont care what he does in practice because I've already seen him the past 5 years.

so have I and he has been consistantly the best WR we have had. The man is a reliable target for the QB's

That's because we've had nothing but garbage receivers in the span he's been here. Now that we have better receivers, he was almost a lock to get dropped from the team. Think about that.
Even with Crabtree, considering he is a rookie, our WRs aren't as deep as many say. The Jones injury was huge. Even if Crabtree doesn't miss a game, rookie receivers usually have a rought first year, we have a lot of ?'s at WR. Who knows how Bruce will perform this year, it's hard to imagine he will be as good as he was last year. We just have to have faith in Morgan, and also Jason Hill (who I haven't heard much about this offseason). I haven't seen Battle play in a while, so I have to hold my judgement on him... he's been injured a lot.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Even with Crabtree, considering he is a rookie, our WRs aren't as deep as many say. The Jones injury was huge. Even if Crabtree doesn't miss a game, rookie receivers usually have a rought first year, we have a lot of ?'s at WR. Who knows how Bruce will perform this year, it's hard to imagine he will be as good as he was last year. We just have to have faith in Morgan, and also Jason Hill (who I haven't heard much about this offseason). I haven't seen Battle play in a while, so I have to hold my judgement on him... he's been injured a lot.

Don't forget or count out D.Zeigler he is having a great camp.
The Wr pos will be just fine IMO,not like it was just a couple of years ago that's for sure.

Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by sacniner:

Don't forget or count out D.Zeigler he is having a great camp.
The Wr pos will be just fine IMO,not like it was just a couple of years ago that's for sure.

With all the hype that Zeigler gets I sure hope he doesn't disappoint.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

People don't like Battle because of his injuries. They look at the statistics and they aren't that good; but that's because he is usually hurt half the year.

When healthy, he is both a very underrated athlete and player.

*Response to the topic*
The WR corps is the "same" as last year, but its not really that simple.
Morgan had a staff infection last year at the very beginning of the season, then hurt his ankle late in the season.
Loosing 15 lbs in a couple weeks is no joke. Loosing 15 lbs in the first two weeks of your first NFL season?
Its amazing he was able to accomplish anything last year.
If he is healthy, that gives us a huge boost over last year.

If Battle is healthy, that also gives us a boost from last year.

Jones will miss the first few weeks, but should be playing most of the season. So he will also give us a boost from last year.

If I were to guess, i would guess Crabtree will sign, so in probability, we should receive a boost from him later in the season.

Everything else is a wash I think.

But don't forget Hill is 7-3, and Smith looks healthy.

You used the phrase "because he is usually hurt half the year", which is interesting in contrast to actual games played by Battle...

2004 - 14 games
2005 - 10 games
2006 - 16 games
2007 - 16 games
2008 - 9 games

He has been hurt for about half a season before, but not "usually".
Share 49ersWebzone